Saturday, December 26, 2009

[Elise] Rosinboller

When Inez came out to Denmark, we discovered that in every single bakery there is this wonderful (cheap) amazingly light , subtly spiced pastry called teboller or tea buns. They are lighter than normal buns here and the taste has just the slightest hint of spice that makes it nearly indescribable. They would come plain, or with dried currants, or sometimes with small chocolate chips.

In the quest for the perfect teboller recipe, I tried a few different recipes and the one I had the best luck with was a recipe for Norwegian rosinboller (raisin buns) translated from Norwegian in The Transplanted Baker. The first step is boiling the dried currants in port, sherry or apple juice. I chose apple juice, however, rescuing some currants from the aftermath of glögg making probably wouldn't be a half bad idea.

The recipe calls for adding the wet indgredients to the dry ones, but I'm faily set in my ways and found that adding the flour/currant mixture slowly to the wet ingredients worked just fine.

I've had yeast trouble in the past, so this time I made sure to proof the dough. All was well and rising went prefectly.

before rising


after rising


It took three different batches (one with a different recipe, and one with a typo in the translation, and the one linked to above, typo free) before I came out with this result. And while I think I may have waited too long, and can't, for the life of me, tell whether this recipe is even close to what I had in Denmark, it is absolutely wonderful. One think I know is different though, is that the cardomom is much more noticable in these buns than how I remembered. For a more subtle bun I woould try halving the amount of cardamom.

No comments:

Post a Comment