Thursday, July 1, 2010

[Elise] Guacamole and Sweet Potato Hash

The last few times I've been to the grocery store it's been sample day and they've been pushing this delicious (and expensive) guacamole. Every time I tell myself I'll look up how to make it and get ingredients next time I'm at the store... and then I forget to. Today I learned that you pretty much just throw delicious things together and enjoy. Yum.


 Guacamole (makes a bit more than a pint)

Two avocados
1/8 c sour cream
Juice of one lime
One pepper (sweet or hot, depending on taste)
1/4 vidalia onion
½ tsp cumin

There was also supposed to be one mango diced up, but the mango I has was rotten on the inside. It was sad. I also would have liked to add a bit of cilantro, which I really need to add to my herb garden because you can never just get a little bit at the store.

Next came the question of what to put under the guacamole. I decided to totally wing it and make a sweet potato hash. I diced one whole sweet potato, the other 1/4 onion (sticking the remaining half in the fridge for tomorrow) and some garlic, sautéed on med-low heat for about 10 minutes before adding one zucchini and sautéing another 10 minutes. A few minutes from the end I added cumin, oregano, lemon salt, and some fresh basil from my garden. I was pretty nervous how it would all taste together with so many different flavors. It was absolutely delicious: The lime came through the guacamole in a really nice way; The crunch of the fresh onion in the guacamole was great to have in contrast with the flavor of the sautéed onions; The lemon salt was coarse and didn't dissolve fully so would add little busts of lemon. It was all just smooth and wonderful with a nice variety of flavors and textures.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment