Friday, June 10, 2011

[Inez] Chocolate cupcakes with Greek yogurt frosting


In honor of June being brown month, I made some chocolate cupcakes. Life is tough.

I used my go-to Compost Cake recipe for the cupcakes, because it's delicious and it's easy and it's delicious. Did I mention it's really delicious? Also I don't really have enough muffin tins so I ended up with like a cupcake's worth of batter left in the bowl that didn't fit, which I was forced to eat. Did you know it's a crime in some countries to let cake batter go to waste? Like my house, for example.


Uh, and then I forgot to take any pictures of the frosting-making process, which was New and Different. I wanted something a little bit tangy, but not cream cheese because I always do cream cheese. So I decided to try making frosting out of yogurt! Here's what I did:
  • 2 c Greek yogurt
  • ~1 c powdered sugar
  • 1 c whipping cream
  • 2 t vanilla
  • 1 1/2 oranges worth of zest
  • a splash of orange extract
  • a pinch of salt
Mix the yogurt, vanilla, sugar, orange zest, and orange extract in a large bowl. 
Whip the cream until stiff but not too stiff.
Fold the whipped cream into the yogurt mixture.

Some thoughts about the frosting: I don't know if it's because it didn't have as much fat as frosting usually does or what, but it tasted a little bit flat.  That's why I added the salt. I think it would have been good with a bit more salt, maybe 1/4 t or so, but since I added it at the very end it was kind of difficult to incorporate adequately, so I didn't add a second pinch. It was also a bit too tangy for the cake (made the cake taste really sweet! even though it's more of a bittersweet cake usually), but that flavor did mellow out after the first day. Overall, it was a fun experiment and I would do it again but I would probably pair it with something fruity (especially citrus), rather than chocolate.

Anyway, since the frosting was white, I was worried the cupcakes wouldn't be brown enough for Brown Month. Grated chocolate solves most problems, as it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment