Monday, March 4, 2013

[Inez] Quilting (Part 2)

Oh my gosh, I forgot to update along the way. I finished my quilt! I started it in October and just finished it a week ago, so all told it took about 5 months.


When we left off I had sewn my 19 rows, and needed to start putting it all together.

Here are the components a quilt:
  • piecework (this is where you sew together all the pieces of the top side of the quilt)
  • batting (this is the stuff that goes in the middle and makes the quilt warm)
  • backing (this is the bottom side of the quilt, typically muslin or flannel)
  • binding (this is the fabric that runs the perimeter of the quilt)
So I sewed together all of my 19 rows, which, by the way, is a terrible way to make a quilt. I hadn't cut everything perfectly the same width which meant it was really hard to sew everything in straight lines and I ended up using some lumber as a long straightedge and our dining room table is only big enough to hold about a quarter of the quilt at a time and it was kind of a nightmare. People make quilts by creating squares and sewing them together for a reason, and it's so they don't lose their sanity. My rows ended up crooked and I had to cut a bunch off of the ends to make my angles square, and then add some more back onto the ends to make it long enough again. 

Finally I got that straightened away and was able to pin down my batting and cut it roughly to size. I wanted to hold these layers firmly together while I got my backing situated, so I stitched in the ditch for a few long rows. That means I sewed following an existing seam so that you can't see it in the final product.


I've learned in the last year or so that "quilting" does not refer to making a quilt. "Quilting" refers specifically to the stitching that holds all of the layers of a quilt together. It is often decorative (sometimes highly intricate), but doesn't have to be. I decided to go with a starburst pattern, in part for simplicity, and in part to draw the eye away from my crooked rows.


Here are all of the layers quilted together, awaiting binding.


I have to give a lot of thanks to the lady (Youtube username: ctquiltingvideos) who made this video on binding, because it was INCREDIBLY helpful. I learned so many tricks and shortcuts. Let me give you the brief version.

When binding a quilt, you will sew together a bunch of long narrow strips of fabric to create a super long strip that is as long as the perimeter of your quilt plus like 10 or 20 inches, just to be safe. The strips will be 6 times as wide as you want your binding to be. I wanted 1" binding, so I used 6" wide strips.

You fold these strips in half and iron them. Then you pin them to your quilt, rough edge to rough edge. So the folded edge of your binding will be away from the outside of your quilt, and the two loose edges will be up against the edge of your quilt. Sew that down at just under your desired width.


Once you've sewn the binding all the way around your quilt, fold it over so that the fold makes a nice clean edge on the other side. Then I stitched in the ditch on the back side, so that there wouldn't be an extra seam showing. Because I had sewn the back at slightly narrower than I wanted, when I stitched in the ditch there was a bit of an overhang on the front for the seam to catch onto.



Some people do this last step of the binding by hand using invisible stitching, but that seemed like an awful lot of work. I just wanted to be done.

And so I was! Check it out!!



Now my bed has a colorful, cheery quilt to brighten up the room in the winter. Hooray!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that IS beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!! i'm so inspired. and thanks for sharing your youtube hints. -maddie

    ReplyDelete