Saturday, April 4, 2009

[Inez] Baking day, part two.

I've been eyeing these chocolate-raspberry pots de creme that I saw on Tastespotting for a couple weeks now, but I haven't had time to make them. Until Thursday! After the scones, and after practice, I made these delicious little chocolate custards. Photos are courtesy of Ella, because I didn't feel like it. The colors are a little icky because the pictures were taken at night with artificial light. Sorry.


I liked this recipe at sight, because it's a custard except that instead of stirring the pudding over a low heat with a flat-bottomed whisk for about 7 hours, you mix everything together and pop them in the oven! My kind of pudding.

This is a recipe I got offline, but then I had to convert it to regular measurements (it was in grams -- grams of egg yolk? What??).


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded (or if you're like me and have never even seen a vanilla bean, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract will do just fine)
  • 2 T + 2 t sugar
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • raspberries (fresh or frozen)
Preheat oven to 300 F.

Separate your whites and yolks (anyone have suggestions for what to do with 4 egg whites? Besides get a puppy and feed them to it, that is).


Then CHOP your chocolate. (I forgot to do this, and it made the next step a pain in the butt.)


Bring milk, cream, vanilla, and half of the sugar to a boil. Pour this over the CHOPPED chocolate, and stir until chocolate is melted.


(On the other hand, because I forgot to chop the chocolate it didn't mix very well, which meant that there were little bits of straight up chocolate in the pudding, which I kind of liked.)


Whisk yolks and the other half of the sugar. (I was using unsweetened bakers chocolate, so I added a lot of sugar to the egg yolks...)


Place some raspberries (forget less is more -- more is more!) into ramekins.


Then pour custard over the raspberries. (I have 4 4-oz ramekins, and that wasn't enough. I ended up using the 4 ramekins plus 2 mugs which each had a bit more than 4 oz in them. 4 oz is a good serving size, though.)


Place the ramekins on a baking sheet, and pour water onto the sheet.


Bake until the center is set (about 40 minutes).


Serve warm (or hot, if you're as impatient as me). I recommend watching Aladdin while you eat these. That's what Ella and I did, and it was great.

1 comment:

  1. I used a vanilla bean for the first time last week when I made apricot custard pastries (the vanilla bean went in the custard). My mom had it randomly lying around from Christmas, when she found it at kitchen window, and picked it up thinking it would be fun to use.

    ReplyDelete