Thursday, April 16, 2009

[Inez] Hazelnut chocolate cake

After I busted out the nutella cupcakes for my housemates last week, and because I've been so enjoying myself baking, I made a proposition. "How about," I said, "rather than cooking dinner for the house, I just do dessert?" "How often?" they asked me. "Every week" was clearly the only acceptable answer. 

Last week was also my housemate Rebecca's birthday. Happy birthday, Rebecca! Now, I don't like to play favorites, but I do love Rebecca. She claims to not have celebrated her birthday since she was 16, and she said she didn't want a cake! Preposterous! I know Rebecca loves Nutella (I was reminded of this when I made the cupcakes) so I wanted to make something with hazelnut. I'm sorry to say I didn't photograph the processing of the hazelnuts, because it was pretty cool. I bought some uncooked hazelnuts, and on internet advice, toasted them on a cookie sheet at 350F for 10 minutes. The oven smelled heavenly. Then I put them in a towel and rubbed them around a bunch to get the skins to (mostly) come off.

I had seen some recipes for different types of hazelnut cakes that had big ole chunks of hazelnut in the cake, but I didn't like that idea. So I cleaned off my housemate's coffee grinder and ground most of the hazelnuts into a meal. I recommend doing this in short bursts-- if you leave the grinder going for more than about a second at a time, the oils in the hazelnuts cause them to stick to the sides a lot

Now, I have to tell you that I used my family's favorite chocolate cake recipe (Chocolate Compost Cake), which I'm not ready to put out on the internet for just anyone to find. So I won't be including a recipe in this post. But that's okay, I can still tell you what I did.

I ended up with about 1 cup of hazelnut meal. I didn't put in quite all of the cocoa the cake recipe called for, because I didn't want the chocolate to overwhelm the hazelnut flavor. The double recipe called for 1 cup of cocoa; I put in 3/4 cup of cocoa and the 1 cup of hazelnut meal.

That's the only modification I made for the chocolate cake; then I just baked it as normal. I wanted the frosting to be simple and not at all overwhelming, so I just went with a simple whipped cream frosting. By which I mean to say, I whipped a pint of whipping cream with some powdered sugar and (very approximately) 1/4 cup Frangelico. Just enough to give the whipped cream a slightly nutty aroma, without being either overwhelmingly hazelnutty or overwhelmingly alcoholic.


As I mentioned, I only ground most of the hazelnuts. I chopped some pretty finely, and these I put between 2 layers of whipped cream on top of the first layer of cake.


Then I plopped (gently) the second cake on top, and frosted the whole thing.


I topped the whole thing off with some more chopped hazelnuts and some whole hazelnuts, which do, it's true, look suspiciously like chick peas. I'm sorry to say I don't have any pictures of a slice because the lighting was poor and the cake just looked black (also on account of it's so damn rich and chocolatey and delicious). The result was a rich moist chocolate cake with a very strong hazelnut flavor. I would say you could get away with using 3/4 cup or even 1/2 cup hazelnut meal, but I certainly don't regret using the full cup!


2 comments:

  1. WoW-zah! Thanks for making my mouth water and arousing my lust! Gonna have to bookmark this blog, for sure.

    Blessings,
    Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up (a Quaker blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Crap. Holy, holy, holy, crap. *drool*

    ReplyDelete