Sunday, September 20, 2009

[Inez] Cinnamon rolls


I made cinnamon rolls too! Like Elise, mine was highly experimental. I made a basic bread recipe ( sort of followed a recipe from Laurel's Kitchen that involved scalded milk, but I veered somewhat) and then put cinnamon/sugar/butter/[raisins] and baked it. I made them in 2 batches because I had SO MUCH DOUGH, so I ended up using 2 different methods. I'll discuss.

For the first batch, I kneaded the dough a bit after the first rise, concerned about big air bubbles. After rolling it out I slathered on melted butter and sprinkled a whole bunch of cinnamon sugar.

Then I rolled it into a log, cut it into discs, put it in a pan, let it rise again, and then baked it. While it was baking I went online to read about cinnamon buns, and some peope recommended spreading butter on top, so I did that when they came out of the oven.

With the second batch, I didn't knead at all after the first rise. I just punched it down, smushed it a bit, and then rolled it out. Then I tried mixing cinnamon sugar with butter to make a goopy mess, which I slathered (thickly) on the dough.

Also I put melted butter on top of the rolls after the second rise, before baking them. I think this helped keep them nice and soft, not at all crispy on the outside.


The second batch got much taller than the first batch, and had a nicer texture, so I think not kneading after the first rise is definitely the way to go. Also, I prefered the butter mixed with the cinnamon and sugar because I was able to to put a lot more on, which made them good and cinnamon-ey, just the way I like it!

I made way too many for just one person (I keep forgetting I'm cooking and baking for just one now) so even though I took some to work, I still made my stomach a little bit upset from too many cinnamon buns! I should have frozen some, but they were so good I couldn't stop eating them.


No comments:

Post a Comment