Sunday, September 20, 2009

[Elise] Cinnamon Rolls

To bring more togetherness to the blog, Inez and I decided that once a month we would each make the same thing and each post about it. Our inaugural month's sweet: Cinnamon Rolls.

Sunday night and Monday morning, I had semi-successful, highly improvised, cinnamon roll experience.

I began by making the dough according to my Grandma's recipe. She makes excellent sticky buns, so this seemed a good place to start. From here the improvisation began. The recipe called for letting the dough rise over night, the rolling out the dough, coating it in cinnamon, sugar, and butter, rolling it up, and slicing it into discs, then placing it in a sugary, syrupy pan, and letting it rise another two hours, then baking it for 25 minutes

Not having 3 hour mornings on Modays, I waited about 4 hours Sunday night, before rolling out the dough. This made 7 rolls instead of the 15 the recipe called for, which actually worked out great because I only had a pie pan and no 9x13" pans.

The next morning I baked at 375F for the requisite 25 minutes and took it out.


After taking one out and eating it, it was delicious, warm, gooey...dough. So I went to class and came back a few hours later, put the rolls in the over for another 20 minutes, and voilĂ !

All in all, they were reasonable. The cooling time in the middle of the baking affected the texture some, and the dough was denser than I would have liked. However, while they may not have turned out quite the way I wanted them to, seeing what changed as I tweaked the recipe was very helpful in understanding the baking process better.

(and, alas, while my digital camera is being repaired, I only have the camera on my phone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment