Monday, December 13, 2010

Tasty Winter Vegetable Soup

Elise, you better start picking up the slack, here. Mac and cheese from a box can be beautiful, whatever. I want to see some posts from you, stat. Maybe on Friday when you're taking care of my dog? :-D

This soup is one of my favorites in the winter. Which is good, because I always wind up making WAY more than I mean to. Consider yourself warned. This is inspired by a recipe I found on some blog somewhere (sorry, blogger, I totally don't remember what blog you write) and then adapted to suit my liking and what I tend to keep in my kitchen. So for me, this soup is great because I probably only need to buy one or two things, tops.

To begin, take a cup or so of dry black eyes peas and throw them in some water. Bring them to a boil, then remove from heat (but not the hot water) while you chop veggies.

Chop:
3-5 cloves garlic
3 large-ish potatoes
1 large sweet potato (I used white sweet potatoes this time! Did you know that was a thing?)
2 cups frozen corn (okay, don't chop that..)
1-2 carrots
1 onion


Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a big ole soup pot, then throw in everything you just chopped (including the corn) and cook on medium heat, covered, for 10 min (stirring occasionally). After 10 minutes, add 6 or so cups of your favorite stock, a couple teaspoons of lemon juice, the black eyed peas, and the following spices:
thyme (3 t)
anise or fennel (3 t)
paprika (1/2 t), salt (1/2 t)
and 3-4 bay leaves.
This is all to taste, of course. Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile cut up a couple tomatoes (or open a can). Also cut up some kale (or your favorite dark leafy green). Kale was one of the few things I didn't have, so I put a backpack on Mr. Dog (sorry, no pictures) and we went to the store. The kale didn't fit so I put it through the handle on the top of his pack. It made me laugh, at least. Anyway, this kale I got is unlike any kale I've ever seen. Check it out:


It looks like an alien life form to me.


After the stuff has been simmering for 10 minutes, throw in the tomatoes and kale.


Simmer an additional 10-20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment