Wednesday, April 27, 2011

[Inez] Saturday breakfast

Saturday is easily my favorite day of the week. Saturday breakfast or brunch is probably my favorite meal of the week. Last Saturday I had a treat -- I was supposed to play a double-header all morning, but it got rained out. This is good, because my butt is out of SHAPE, something I am reminded of every time I ride up the big hill by the transfer station on my way to work. It hurts.

So anyway, instead of huffing and wheezing and hurting, I had time to make scones and have a nice Saturday breakfast.


Raspberries, an orange, scones, and one of my new(ish) favorite things (cooked in my newly seasoned cast iron pan!) - fried eggs.

A note about the scones: I put half a cup of currants and the zest of one orange in a single recipe of the adapted recipe from the New Joy (see the link above). I cannot tell you enough how delicious the orange zest is. I have always love love loved scones, but this puts them in the realm of the spectacular. Uh, if I do say so myself.

A note about seasoning cast iron: Joy the Baker, who I linked to above, says that your pan might end up a bit sticky after seasoning according to her instructions. My pan did end up a bit sticky, and it looked a bit splotchy and I was worried it hadn't really worked. But fear not! It really works.

No comments:

Post a Comment