Wednesday, May 4, 2011

[Elise] Wild Rice Curry

This is a yellow curry with wild rice and onions, topped with pan fried sweet potatoes. Yum.


 I love sweet potatoes. If I could put them in every single entrée I make without everyone I cook for being absolutely sick of them, I would. For a change of pace I got some yellow fleshed sweet potatoes. They're a little starchier but still sweet, providing a nice crunch to contrast the soup.

The recipe I got a few years ago from La Fuji Mama  and when it's done it is the most vivid yellow. It was this yellow that stuck in my mind while I took off for the grocery store without a list and not having looking at the recipe since the night before.

I went to the store knowing I had all but three things; a can of coconut milk, yellow curry (right? I mean, the soup is so yellow, how could it not be yellow curry), and... something else. What was that something else?
I went to a few different grocery stores which all had the same selection of "Thai Ktichen" curry pastes: one red, one green, a chili paste, and a satay peanut sauce. Finally I went to a Vietnamese market, where I finally found yellow curry, and big cheap tub of it instead of a little expensive jar. I need to remember to go here more often. I'm also going to need to make a lot more yellow curries.

Finally I got home and started cooking only to realize that the recipe actually calls for red curry. Go figure.



I did find that the yellow curry tasted wonderful in the recipe. It had a very warm spice that was more than I had expected without being overpowering.


Also, I got a round about compliment from my dad, when asked if the two week old bread tasted any good, or if it just tasted like stale bread with good soup on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment