Monday, May 9, 2011

[Becca] Yellow!


Hello again! It's been a year since I last contributed anything, so I decided it was time to share. It's not that I haven't been making anything beautiful/delicious, it's more that I never remember to take pictures. So, when Elise came over so we could make cookies (about which she will most likely be posting soon), I used the opportunity to take pictures of my preserved lemons.

I hadn't realized that there was such a thing as preserved lemons until recently, though I guess if I'd ever put much thought into it I would have assumed they existed in some fashion, but I'd just never thought to think about it before. That is until my friend started raving about the preserved lemons she made, and how delicious they were, and how easy they were to make. So I asked her for the recipe and she sent me this blog post.

I stuck close to the recipe, using larger lemons, because that's what I found, and skipping the embellishments, mostly because I took too long making up my mind as to which ones I wanted, and then forgot all together at what would have been the appropriate time to have made a decision. The jar I used didn't have an opening quite wide enough, so I struggled a bit getting the lemons in, but figured I was going to squash them anyway, so it wasn't a problem that they got squashed on their way in. Then when I went to squish them down the second day I decided there was enough space to add another lemon, and really, if they are going to sit for a month, will one day fewer make that much of a difference?

So now I am waiting. And dreaming of couscous and lemon ice cream.

Usually the lemons sit above the sink, adding cheery color to the kitchen. But for the purpose of my lemon photo shoot, I decided to move them to the mantel in the living room. Next to the yellow flowers picked at my uncle's farm and put into the yellow vase that my dad made.

1 comment:

  1. Your dad knows how to blow glass? That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete