Sunday, March 15, 2009

[Inez] SB2K9

I just got back from a week in Isle of Palms, SC with the men and women's ultimate frisbee teams for spring break. I was food captain for the week with two other people, which means that we organized the cooking teams for every night and made sure we had supplies for breakfast and lunch. I was also on a cooking team for one of the dinners. I meant to photograph the full process of cooking for 49 hungry athletes, but I forgot until it was almost ready! Sheesh. Anyway, here are a couple pictures of the final prep.


We made hamburgers, black bean burgers, pasta salad, grilled veggies, and oreo ice cream pies for dessert.

Here's Ashley (one of my co-Food Captains and also one of the captains of the team -- not to mention one of my favorite people at Haverford) with one of the bowls of pasta salad. This is the one with olives (ick).


Simon at his burger frying post. In addition to being a master burger griller, this guy can open bottles with his teeth. Impressive.

The gas grill ran out of gas partway through grilling the veggies, so we ended up doing it on the stove and in the oven.


Many, many sliced tomatoes, onions, pickles, and lettuce to go on the burgers.


Cooking dream team (left to right)-- Simon, Fossi (partially obscured), Ashley, and Cara.



We didn't really use recipes, so I can't give them to you. I can tell you what went into the dishes, though. The burgers had white onion, ketchup, garlic (I think?), and ground beef (end product = delicious). The bean burgers had smushed up black beans, green pepper, onion, salt, pepper, and some spices (use whatever you want-- cumin, etc). The pasta salad had green, red, yellow, and orange peppers, white and red onion, carrots, parmesan cheese, kidney beans, chick peas, olive oil, vinegar, and olives (optional).

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh that pasta salad is HUGE! It really shows how much food you need to feed 49 people. Wow. And the kitchen looks like it was made for feeding 49 people.

    ReplyDelete