Saturday, February 13, 2010

[Elise] Quick pie crust.


Pastry month is mostly about making fancy delicious pastries that, let's be honest, look kind of scary to make. But tonight, I just really wanted quiche. And I really didn't want to put lots of effort into making a crust for what is otherwise a pretty simple dish. After a brief review of several simple recipes online (and a quick look at what's in my fridge) I came up with this. It took about 3 minutes to measure, mix, and press into the pan. All measurements haphazardly approximate.

2 cups of flour (approximately)
some salt
1/3 cup of sour cream (in a liquid measuring cup)
2/3 cups of vegetable oil (fill up to the one cup line... see, easy)

Then mix it with a wooden spoon until the flour is all mixed in.

The recipes generally said to split in two halves, press into a half inch thick disks between waxed paper, refrigerate, roll to 1/4 inch take off one sheet waxed paper, press into pan, take of the other sheet. Simple enough, right?

Hah. I put about 3/4 of the soft crumbly mess straight into the pan and pressed roughly even. This gave me a slightly thicker crust which is what I really like in my quiche (and I didn't have waxed paper). I put this in the fridge and went to work on the filling.



For the quiche part I sauteed some onions, brocolli, corn, and red pepper. I put this in the pan, covered liberally with shredded cheddar cheese. For the filling I mixed four eggs, a cup and a half of milk, a tablespoon of melted butter, salt and pepper. This part didn't turn out quite how I wanted (but still tasted good). Next time I might try five eggs and 1 1/4 cups of milk (or else a different recipe altogether). I poured this over the veggies and cheese and topped with chopped scallions.

After baking at 350 F for 30 minutes it came out nicely browned and delicious!


Note about the crust: The you could taste the sour cream in the crust (yum) which isn't something I would like as much for a sweet pie. I would try plain yogurt for something sweet (also recommended was buttermilk, but that is not a staple item for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment