Saturday, August 8, 2009

[Inez] Basil-herb quiche with savory crust

I found this recipe online a while ago, and I'm afraid to say I copied it down without noting who the credit should go to. I did modify it a bit, so maybe it's okay? It's supposed to be a mushroom quiche, but ended up being a herb-corn-cheese quiche. Serves 5-6.

Crust
  • 1/3 c cold unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cflour
  • 1 t thyme (preferably fresh)
  • 1/8 - 1/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 2 T (or more as needed) cold water
  • 1 t white vinegar


Add the herbs to the flour:


Cut butter into the flour mixture:
Then mix in water and vinegar (slowly), until just moistened. Pat into a ball and form a disc, which you will then cover and refrigerate until I tell you to stop.


Filling
(preheat oven to 350F)
  • 1 t olive oil
  • 1/4 - 1/2 medium red onion, diced
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • kernels from 1 cob fresh sweet corn
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 T fresh chopped basil
  • 1 1/2 t oregano
  • 1/8 t nutmeg
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 1/2 t salt
  • ~ 4 oz ricotta
  • 1/2 c cream
  • some grated aged gouda (or other delicious cheese)

First, saute onion and garlic on oil for 1-2 min. Add the corn and saute some more.



Mix the herbs, salt, and pepper into the eggs. Take the crust out of the fridge.


Add the cheeses and cream, mix.


Roll out the crust out. Put it in your pie pan, pinching the edges. This recipe makes a nice, thick crust. (If you look closely you can see the thyme -- yum!)


Scatter onion mixture on the crust, then pour the egg mixture on top.



Bake for 40-50 min at 350F.Let it sit for a few minutes after you take it out (before devouring it in one sitting).



Review: You can pretty much mess with the filling as much as you want. The original recipe I was using didn't call for cream, which is a travesty as far as I'm concerned. On the other hand, it did call for goat cheese. I sent my sister to get goat cheese and the brought me cottage cheese, so I used the ricotta cheese we had in the fridge instead. I also considered adding things like yellow zuchini and broccoli, but in the end balked at the chopping. I highly recommend keeping the basil, however. It's delicious. The crust is also phenomenal. Ruby said it was more crackery than our usual crust -- this may have been partly because the recipe called for only 1 1/2T water which wasn't nearly enough, so it did get handled a fair bit as I added more and more water (probably close to 3-5 T in the end). However, the effect was good, and this is a really good savory crust. I'm thinking substitute the thyme for sage when making chicken pot pie...?

No comments:

Post a Comment