Saturday, April 17, 2010

[Elise] Ugly Cake

I have no idea who first came up with the Ugly Cake concept. I first heard of it from my friend Justine, who got it from our friend Caitlin. Basically, it involves box cake and food coloring... and FUN. You make a few different colors of batter, and glop them all together, maybe swirl them a bit, and BAM you have an ugly cake. It's marevellously fun and you get to lick four bowls instead of just one (and unfortunately wash four bowls, but that's ok). Also, you should be utterly honored if someone give's you an ugly cake, it means they love you. The uglier, the better.

The first time I made got an ugly cake I was so surprised how deep and vivd the colors get. It's really wonderful. The four colors you see here, clockwise starting from the top left, are: A lot of green and a lot of yellow (there gets to be a point when you stop counting), a lot of blue with some greeen, a lot of red with a single drop of blue, and a LOT of yellow with some red. The teal blue color was my favorite.


Now, you could dye frosting and do a similar thing on top, but I've never been a fan of vanilla frosting (with an exception for cream cheese frosting, YUM) so I topped it with good ol' chocolate frosting from a can (I mean, it goes best with box cake). It turned out great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment