Friday, February 27, 2009

[Elise] Cooking in Denmark

The crafting has been a little sluggish for me lately, as has been the baking, but all for good reason. I've begun my semester in Copenhagen, and have spent the past month adjusting to everything. One of the adjustments is that people here rarely eat out. There aren't dining halls or a myriad of premade foods on every corner like in the U.S. (atleast not cheaply). So I've began cooking for myself. Not that this is a new thing for me, just the day to day aspect. So since I have very little else to share at the moment, I'm going to show you one of my favorite quick(ish), simple, winter vegetable dishes. I made this up on the spot one night when I was sick of pasta, however I'm sure it's nothing astoundingly new.

Ingredients: (feeds one as a meal or 2-3 as a sidedish)

a handfull of small cooking potatoes (1-2" in diameter)
an equal quantity of carrots (the number will vary depending on the size of the carrot. Carrot size (and straightness) is less uniform here than at home)
one small onion
one clove garlic
canola oil (or olive)
seasonings to taste
swiss cheese

Begin boiling a small pot of water. While waiting for the water to boil cut the carrots into 2-3" lengths. When the water is boiling, add the carrots and potatoes together with a bit of salt.


While the root veggies boil, begin heating a skillet with the oil on medium heat. Slice the onion into thin-medium thickness rings. Mince the garlic. When the skillet is hot, begin sautéing the onions and garlic.

Once the potatoes are ready (easily poked with a fork) strain the root veggies. Let them cool a bit. Slice the carrots lengthwise, thinner pieces into halve, and thicker pieces into quarters. Slice the potatoes into disks.

Add the sliced root veggies to the sautéing onions. Drizzle with additional oil if necessary. Add any prefered seasonings. Continue sautéing until onions are transleucent and the root veggies are slightly browned.

Place on plate, salt and pepper to taste, and top with slices of swiss cheese.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment