Tuesday, February 10, 2009

[Elise] Winter Break 2/3: Sarah's Birthday Cake

Now, I'll admit, I am not the best at cakes. I have made very few attempts at homemade cakes, in fact, I'm not sure I've ever flown solo baking one. I do, however, enjoy making box cakes. So, normally when I do, I stick to the directions, it comes out like it's supposed to, it's eaten and enjoyed. This January, however, my sister, Sarah, asked for a "Strawberry, funfetti, box cake, with pink frosting." And for some reason, I said "yes!"

The final cake ended up being a diabetics nighmare. Having searched in vain for strawberry extract, I settled on strawberry syrup. To make the cake have the right flavor, I replaced a half cup of water with the syrup, and being a box cake, there was no way I could simply remove some of the other sugar. I used pink sprinkles for the funfetti (i.e. fun confetti) but once the syrup was added, the white cake looked a sick pale purple. To correct this I added red food coloring, negating the pink flecks which were now just more unnecessary sugar. The cake baked fine, and still had decent texture. Luckily I had chosen a combination of not-too-sweet cream cheese frosting along with chocolate frosting for the surprise dog I was putting on top).

The final result was more fun to look at than to eat. But now I have a goal for next winter, to learn how to make a good cake from scratch, strawberry flavored with pink funfetti.

No comments:

Post a Comment