Sunday, February 15, 2009

[Inez] Molten blackberry-chocolate cakes


So there are two things I want to talk about. One is Valentine's Day, and the chocolate that implies. The other is this idea Eli had that I think I'd really like to follow through with. See, Eli suggested that I could make a cookbook with cakes for different occasions (the inspiration being I Got Dumped Cake, a.k.a sour cream-chocolate cake with peanut butter-cream cheese buttercream frosting and chocolate-peanut butter ganache).

We talked about if it should include different food groups, but Eli thinks (and I agree) that it will be more fun if it's just cakes. So anyway, then I set about thinking of different events that might merit cake (the Middle School Crush, Finals Week, etc). Valentine's Day of course deserves a cake. But let's be honest, Valentine's Day is actually two holidays. There's I Have a Boyfriend/Girlfriend and It's Valentine's Day, and then there's I'm Single and It's Valentine's Day. This is the I'm Single and It's Valentine's Day Cake.


I made it over at Steph and Jessie and Ariella's because Ella is out of town and I knew I wouldn't be able to eat all this cake by myself. Plus, I find cooking or baking for myself depressing. And on the flip side I get great joy from making food and then giving it to people. It really satisfies something inside me. That's probably why I was back at Steph's this morning (okay, afternoon) making scones for me, them, and everyone else around.

Anyway, Valentine's Day when you're single. For me it meant spending the afternoon making these amazing cakes, going to Ihop for dinner with some of my favorite women, watching romantic comedies with said women, and then going party hopping.

I use the term "party" loosely. The first stop meant having a protracted conversation with Fossi (an Ultimate guy) about the pros and cons of picking a bed for Spring Break on the basis of how much sleep will be achievable in said bed. I'm of the sentiment that an isolated room is best because when I want to party I'll be at the party, and when I go to bed it will be because I want to get some sleep. Fossi thinks that it's most important to be up until the party ends, at which point it doesn't matter how isolated your bedroom is, because everyone else will be sleeping too. I maintain that regardless of what time I go to bed, I don't want my bed to be in the same room as the hot tub because I can't imagine it staying dry for a whole week.

The second stop was a brief glimpse into complete madness, including strobe light, dancing, and general sleaziness. I think that stop lasted about 2 minutes.



The third stop was sitting around in Lloyd 70's common room eating pound cake and freeze pops. Actually I didn't eat much of either. Supposedly the freeze pops had electrolytes or something in them, but if you ask me, they were gross. Which was disappointing, because usually I really like freeze pops.

Wow, I got really ahead of myself. I forgot to talk about the cakes.

I've recently become aware of a phenomenon called a "molten chocolate cake." It's pretty much how it sounds: it's a single serving cake, baked in a ramekin, all oozy and melty and chocolatey in the middle. Amazing, right? Clearly the I'm Single and It's Valentine's Day cake.

There are, from what I can tell, two schools of thought when it comes to making molten chocolate cakes. One involves baking the cake long enough to bake the outside, but short enough to keep the center warm and gooey. The other one onvolves making a separate ganache-like filling, which gets plopped into a souffle-like outside and then covered with more souffle. Sounds amazing, right? This recipe takes it one step further. While the cake is straight up chocolate, the filling is raspberry-chocolate. Actually in this case it's blackberry-chocolate, because I had blackberries. I was happy to be able to share them with a whole bunch of people. I was a little nervous because it was a recipe I'd never used, but I'd say they turned out pretty frickin well.

Oh man. Aside from being a Valentine's Day cake, it might have to be a General Indulgence cake.


Recipe (thank you, Our Patisserie!)

  • 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut into tiny pieces
  • 6 tbs unsalted butter
  • 1/4 c strained fresh or frozen blackberry puree
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 3 tbs plus 2 tsp sugar
  • 2 eggs, separated plus 1 egg white
  • Butter and dust with cocoa the insides of 6 (6 oz) souffle cups. Chill a small plate in your freezer. Combine chocolate and butter in double boiler and melt, stirring frequently. Transfer about 5 tablespoons of the melted chocolate mixture into a small bowl, add the blackberry puree and 2 teaspoons of sugar to it and mix well. Mound the flavored chocolate mixture on the chilled plate, and put it back in the freezer for another 10 minutes or so. When the chocolate is firm enough to shape, form it into 6 truffles and return them to the freezer until ready to use.

    Rewarm the remaining chocolate on simmering water until it is warm to touch. Add the cocoa powder and egg yolks, and mix to combine. Transfer the egg whites to your mixer bowl and beat at medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase the speed to high, and continue beating as you gradually add the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar. Stop when you achieve glossy and stiff peaks. Add about one quarter of your beaten egg whites to the chocolate mixture and fold. Then add the remaining egg whites, and fold until blended. Divide half of the chocolate mixture among the 6 prepared cups. Press a truffle into each cup and cover with the remaining batter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator (I waited about an hour only, and it was fine).

    Prehat the oven to 400F. Remove the plastic wrap and place the cups on a cookie sheet. Bake 12 or 14 minutes. Cakes will be slightly puffed but will still look a little soft and mushy. Take them out of the oven and let them rest for 3 minutes. Then run a knife around the sides of each cup and invert them onto serving plates. Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment